The Social Dilemma documentary film offered useful tips on how to reduce the control social media has on you.
- Recognize there is a problem.
- Put public pressure on governments to take control and find solutions
- Uninstall apps you don't use
- Turn off your phone notifications
- Use web browsers that don't store your search history like Qwant or DuckDuckGo. Browsers like Chrome store your history and track you.
- Ignore recommendations and chose your own content on platforms like YouTube. You can also install browser extensions to remove recommendations.
- Verify news sources by spending more time doing your own research.
- Avoid clicking on Clickbait or false ads. They are financially rewarded each time you click.
- Keep children and teenagers away from social media. Most technology executives at Silicon Valley companies do not allow their children to use social media and smartphones.
- Follow people with different opinions than yourself. While difficult, it will reduce your confirmation bias and propensity to have conversations in echo chambers with people like you.
Sign up here for my free biweekly newsletter that covers how middle-class online creators are succeeding in the new creator economy.